Summary: This article will help you to ensure you are respecting the intellectual property rights of others when using assets in your item previews or within the item files that you didn’t create yourself.
What are assets?
Assets are components that form part of your item. Your item is the product you are making available on Envato to be licensed to your customers.
When creating content for Envato, you may want to include assets within your item that you didn’t make yourself. This article serves as a guide to explain what assets you can use in your items, as well as some intellectual property considerations you’ll need to be aware of.
- For example, if you create a Travel Agency Wordpress Theme, you may want to populate your item preview (also known as a ‘demo’) with different travel themed photos, so the customer can see what their end product might look like. In this case your item is a WordPress Theme and assets are the photos used in your preview.
When thinking about assets, remember that different rules apply depending on where your assets are used. As a rule of thumb, you should only include assets in your item previews which you own or have the license to use commercially, and in your main items which you own or are licensed to use and resell.
If you are a Template Kit author please see the Wordpress Template Kit Requirements for more information on your assets.
You should only use assets in your items that you own or have a sufficient license for the use.
- In order to include an asset you did not create yourself in your item download, you need to have an appropriate redistribution license (the rights to resell that asset under the applicable Envato License)
- In order to use an asset you did not create yourself in your item preview only, you still need to have an appropriate commercial license.
Always read the license of the asset you are using to make sure you can use it as you plan to, and there is nothing that might prohibit you from using that asset in or on an item uploaded to Envato.
What Assets can I use in my Item Download?
Assets that are included in the ZIP file of your item and are distributed to customers when they make a purchase are referred to as assets in item download.
- You can only include assets in your item download if you have the appropriate redistribution license to distribute that asset under the applicable Envato license.
To learn more please read assets in download FAQs
What Assets can I use in my Item Preview?
Assets that are used for demonstration purposes only are referred to as assets in item preview and should not be included in the item download. The term item preview covers both previews and live demos of an Envato Market item, regardless of where they are hosted.
- Assets used in item previews need to be properly licensed for commercial use.
- As the asset is not being resold or redistributed, you will not need a re-sale or re-distribution license as you would for use of that asset in the main file. However, you will still need a license for a commercial use (reproduction) for use within the preview.
- You can use watermarked Envato Market assets, as long as you credit the author and link to the original item page in your item description.
- For example, if you are a Video author, you can use a watermarked Audio track in the preview of your video item only in the item preview, if you credit the AudioJungle author by including the title and username in your item description.
- You’ll also need to state that the asset is for preview purposes only and is not included in the purchase of the item.
- Please see instructions below on how to add a credit to your descriptions.
- You can use non-watermarked Envato Market assets if you buy a Regular License. You don’t need to credit the author and link back to the original item, but it’s highly encouraged!
- You can use a third-party (non-Envato) asset in your item preview if you have licensed it from a service which gives you this right. This is a commercial use license and you are responsible for ensuring that you have the correct license for this purpose.
- If you take your own photos for use within your Envato Market items you’ll need to get your own model releases from the people in them.
Remember that you need to state in the description that the asset is for preview purposes only and is not included in the purchase of the item.
If you are a Template Kit author please see the Wordpress Template Kit Requirements for more information on your images.
What is not allowed?
- You can’t include unlicensed assets anywhere in your item, whether preview or item download.
- You can’t resell another Envato item as your own item; there is no Envato license that would allow this.
- You can’t resell an open source or GPL work as is, as your own.
- You must have added enough value to the asset so that your item can be considered original and unique.
- Assets licensed for preview use only cannot be included in item download.
- A commercial license does not necessarily mean redistribution; read the license terms carefully.
- You can’t include items downloaded from Envato Elements in your item download.
- You can’t use watermarked assets from other sites.
- Photos of famous people are not allowed.
You cannot use photos of famous people in items or previews. Market items and their previews are thought of as commercial activity. Consequently, no photos of famous people, sportspeople, musicians, DJs or anyone else who earns their living from having a public presence (even if these people are no longer alive) can be included. Photos like these can be used in ‘editorial’ situations like a news website or blog, but not on the Envato Market.
To learn more please read assets in preview FAQs.