The first thing subscribers will see when determining if your item is the product they are looking for is the cover image. The cover image will be displayed in search results and as the first image shown on your item detail page. This is your chance to showcase your item!
With Envato Elements we're making an effort to present items in the best way possible, part of this effort includes requiring cover images that are larger than what's traditionally found on digital marketplaces. We realise this is more work for you as an author however the end result will lead to your products looking as good as possible leading to more downloads of your items. We recommend you to create excellent cover images for all of your items.
These are the specific requirements for cover images:
- The cover image must be provided at these dimensions at the minimum:
- Cover images must have a 3:2 aspect ratio
- Recommended Dimensions: 2340px (W) x 1560px (H)
- Minimum Dimensions: 1170px (W) x 780px (H) - aspect ratio 3:2
- You can make your cover image larger, however, the aspect ratio of 3:2 must be adhered to.
While we ask for the highest resolution cover image for flexibility, keep in mind this image may be scaled down and shown in many different formats. Please make sure any included text also looks good and is readable at smaller resolutions. See the Marketing Text & Branding Guidelines below for more recommendations.
- Maximum file size should be 20MB.
- Accepted image formats are JPEG, PNG, SVG, or GIF.
- Image quality and required size:
- if you don't have existing previews at this size, you should create new cover images for your items. Do not upscale or resize smaller JPEG images to the required dimensions as this results in a poor quality final image.
- Export your cover images at high-quality while also considering file size. Upscaled, over-compressed, noisy or generally low-quality image files are not acceptable.
Hints and Tips
- Don't include too much additional text on your cover images. While we allow some text and branding it's important that your cover image clearly demonstrates the item itself and looks good. Please see Marketing Text & Branding Guidelines below.
- Light colour backgrounds often work best.
- Keep the cover image clean and free of clutter.
- Where appropriate show real-world usage of your Item.
The cover image is considered the primary preview image to present your file and is required at the set dimensions/aspect ratio listed above. We know that one image isn't enough to show off your product so you can include up to 15 preview images.
Including preview images is optional, but if you are including one, please follow these guidelines:
- We highly recommend you to include 3 or more for best results on the Item Submission Page.
- The previews can be of varying size however we recommend the same aspect ratio and dimensions as the cover image for best results.
- Recommended Dimensions:
- 1170px wide
- Accepted file formats - JPEG, PNG, SVG, or GIF
- Max File Size: 20MB
- Max Height: 1500px
- Minimum dimensions is 570px wide.
Preview Images for Video
For video items, we recommend including a high-resolution preview image size with these dimensions: 2560 x 1440.
Note: The minimum size requirement for your preview images are 1920 x 1080 (16:9).
Please ensure your cover and preview images are of high technical quality. Upscaled, over-compressed, noisy or generally low-quality image files are not acceptable.
Marketing Text & Branding Guidelines:
In an effort to maintain a professional and visually appealing resource for Envato Elements subscribers, we encourage providers to limit the amount of text and branding included on cover images. Avoid marketing text and excessive branding - overall our main priority is that cover images look great and clearly represent the item itself.
Testing has shown that images showing the actual item itself generate higher click-through & conversion, compared to text-heavy marketing graphics. For example, for a presentation template use a screenshot of the main title slide, or for a website template, use a screenshot of the live preview's homepage.
By marketing text we mean things like:
- "Includes over 1000s free brushes!"
- "Special super awesome bundle"
- "24 PSD's"
- "InDesign Files Included"
- "Easy to use"
- "Over 100 free Hipster Mustaches included"
- Avoid excessive text on Cover Images.
- Avoid marketing text on Cover Images.
- Avoid excessive branding on Cover Images.
- No mention of bundles on Cover or Preview Images, see Item Bundles policy.
- Feel free to include additional information on Preview Images.
Why are we doing this?
- Future ability to provide Envato Elements in other languages.
- Making sure all relevant text is searchable.
- Clean and modern looking product.
Further opportunities to establish your author brand
Please keep author branding on your cover images subtle and visually appealing. There will be other opportunities to establish your brand on Elements including:
- Creating cover images using a consistent style to help subscribers identify your products.
- We will be featuring high-quality authors on a regular basis providing you with greater exposure.
Please adhere to our legal requirements when creating Cover and Preview Images. Refer this article as there are rules around the use of famous people, brand names or certain objects.