We’ve put together a list below of FTP topics you may be having issues with: Settings, Password and Connectivity.
- Usernames are case sensitive. ('MyUsername' instead of 'myusername')
- We only support TLSv1.0 and above for encryption
- Your password is now generated here: https://build.envato.com/create-token/
Please note: we use and test our FTP service with FileZilla. This is a free FTP client and we recommend updating to the latest version.
You will need to confirm the following settings:
Protocol: FTP - File Transfer Protocol
Encryption: Use explicit FTP over TLS if available
Logon Type: Ask for password
User: <your Envato username here> (this is case-sensitive)
Password: <you will be prompted for the API key>
Please note: If you use the https://author.envato.com/upload (stock video/motion graphics) the Host will be ftp.author.envato.com
We use TLS encryption with FTP to protect your passwords and the passwords of your fellow authors. This can cause upload issues with some ISPs that actively block encrypted connections.
You need to create a Personal Token here: https://build.envato.com/create-token/
Use this token as your password in FTP. It is a good idea to create a token specifically for FTP access. It should be kept secret. You will need to regenerate the token if you forget it.
Passwords can sometimes be cached, try creating a new profile in your FTP client if your token password is not immediately successful.
An error like: ‘530 Login authentication failed’ indicates that your token is invalid. You will need to create a new token shown below.
Copy the created token and use this as your password for FTP. See below for an example.
You can test your token by issuing the following:
curl -H "Authorization: Bearer YourAPITokenHere" https://api.envato.com/v1/market/private/user/username.json
If your username is not returned from the above command then the token should be regenerated.
Our FTP servers are currently located in the US and you may experience issues connecting to them, even though the service is fine.
Some of the possible causes for this are:
- Network latency, packet loss, unstable network
- ISP blocking
- Government blocking of encrypted traffic
- FTP service unavailable
- VPNs can reset connections
These problems are hard to determine and track down but here are some steps you can follow:
- Connection failing at AUTH TLS
- This indicates that you have not selected “Use explicit FTP over TLS if available” or that your TLS version is too old. We currently only support TLSv1.0 and higher.
- You may need to upgrade your FTP client (we recommend FileZilla, which is free)
- Connection gets reset with ECONNABORTED (or similar)
- FTP clients like FileZilla, should reconnect and continue the download.
- This is caused by any network device resetting the connection due to a timeout. This can be your own firewall/router, your ISPs routers, any VPN service provider. Unfortunately this is not something that Envato can fix and you will have to different approaches
- Different VPN
- Call ISP
- Different local firewall/router
- If you cannot reach the FTP server check the https://status.envato.com site to see if there is a known problem
- If there isn’t a known problem, use ping to determine if you can reach the ftp server. (x.x.x.x - is an IP address)
- ping ftp.marketplace.envato.com
64 bytes from x.x.x.x: icmp_seq=3736 ttl=35 time=281.949 ms
- You can also use traceroute (or mtr) to show the route path that your computer takes to reach our FTP servers. You can add this to any ticket that you might lodge.
- If your traceroute ends at your ISP, check with them for issues.
Photo authors may need to create the following directories:
Only jpg or jpeg files are accepted.
Video Stock and Motion Graphics Authors:
You need to use the ftp.author.envato.com FTP server to upload. When you upload your items they will disappear from the upload directory because they are being processed.
The uploaded items will begin to appear here when they are ready: https://author.envato.com/upload/videos