Summary: There are specific item quality expectations that are required to sell the item on Envato. This article outlines what item quality means to us and how this is optimized for our platforms.
At this stage, we expect that you have already signed-up as an author, you have reviewed how to get through our review process and that you have an item(s) ready to upload or are in the process of preparing one.
Please note: There are three parts to assessing an item to sell on Envato. This first part is understanding Envato’s item quality expectations, which includes Item Information and Item Presentation Requirements (outlined in section 2). From there, make sure to also review the Technical Requirements and Legal Requirements related to your content type to successfully prepare your items for review.
If you know what you need or want to skip ahead, you can find more information by clicking on the specific sections below.
What does Item Quality Mean?
Item Quality at Envato refers to the degree to which an item meets our specific set of requirements. These requirements are important as they help prepare your items for their best chance of success.
We know this because we spend a lot of time observing our platforms, looking at the trends and performance of items over time and making improvements to better serve the content that customers want. This is what informs our Item Quality expectations and requirements.
We understand that quality is subjective, so we want to reinforce that when an item does not meet our Item Quality expectations, it's not that the item is of bad quality overall. It just means that the item does not meet our (Envato’s) specific requirements, which we know makes it a good fit to sell on our platforms.
We have these quality expectations in place to ensure there is a level of consistency in our offering and customers know what to expect when they come to Envato.
How is Item Quality Assessed at Envato?
Envato’s Item Quality expectations are overarching standards that are assessed across certain requirements that we look for during the review process. These are:
- Item Information & Presentation Requirements - How an item applies design principles, how it’s presented to a customer and how it is optimised for our platforms?
- Technical Requirements - How the item works, is it free of errors?
- Legal Requirements - How compliant the item is across our Envato terms, is it free of any offensive materials? Have you ensured it is free of potential copyright or trademark issues?
Item Quality is then determined by comparing the specific item alongside these requirements and seeing if it meets these standards overall.
These standards are in place to ensure the best success of your item selling on the platform based on what we know customers are looking for. You can read more about each requirement by reviewing the review article.
Item Quality Best Practices
As an Envato author, it's important to manage your portfolio with consistency and attention to detail. This is what will help to build your branding, exposure opportunities and loyalty with customers!
- Items should work flawlessly and be highly usable for customers. Stylistically items need to be on-trend with a modern & clean premium look. Please only upload your best work!
- Presenting your items as best you can. Consistent and premium branding include a high-resolution cover image and item previews that accurately represent the item and accurate spelling/grammar in your item titles and descriptions. Upscaled, over compressed, noisey or generally low quality image files would not meet out requirements.
- Describing your items as best you can. Item titles, tags & descriptions should be accurate, clear and compelling.
- Providing helpful item information for a given item to assist customers in finding the right item for their needs.
- Providing comprehensive help documentation where appropriate to assist customers in the use of your item and make their experience a pleasurable one.
- In an effort to create a consistent experience for customers and keep Envato fair and balanced for all participating authors, there are requirements around item bundling and item splitting. Please ensure you are aware of our Item Bundles or Splitting Items policy when creating and uploading your items.
- Managing your portfolio over time by removing items that were never sold, aren't popular or perhaps are no longer on trend.
- Abiding by all legal requirements and terms by providing the necessary model/property releases when submitting photo and video items, ensuring that the item does not contain any offensive materials or copyright and trademark issues and provides the appropriate licenses where necessary.